Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wondrous Words Wednesday


Kathy over at Bermudaonion's Weblog hosts Wondrous Words Wednesday. If you come across a word (or two) while reading that is new to you and would like to share your new knowledge, then hop over to Kathy's place and link up!

Here's what I've got this week from Dancers in Mourning by Margery Allingham:

Bandarloggy: "monkey people" from a term used in Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book to describe monkeys.


Context (p. 72):
"We've landed ourselves among a funny crowd, my boy, haven't we? A damned curious bandarloggy lot. Nothin' like Cambridge."

Campion relinquished his own thoughts regretfully. "Bandarloggy?"

"Indian," explained Uncle William. "Means the 'monkey people.' Got it out of the Jungle Books."

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I wish I'd known that when our son was young - I used to call him "monkey boy" all the time! Great word!

Col (Col Reads) said...

That is a GREAT find, Bev. And one I can definitely use more often than not, living in a college town as I do!

Anonymous said...

Great word, loved it, thanks!

Margot said...

I love banderloggy. I have a young granddaughter that fits this word and she'll actually love it too. Thanks for giving it to us.

Julie @ Read Handed said...

Cute! Thanks for sharing!