Thursday, June 9, 2011

Booking Through Thursday: Own or Borrow?

This week Booking Through Thursday wants to know: All things being equal (money, space, etc), would you rather own copies of the books you read? Or borrow them?

For the most part--own. Absolutely no question. I'm not just a reader. I'm a book-lover. Full-blown biblioholic. That would be why I currently have over 2,000 books. What I'm in need of is my very own private library so I can have all of them displayed instead of most of them boxed up.

The only exception to this would be current books. Most of the books I read are classic or vintage--less than 25% of the books I read are current. And I'm very picky about the current ones. I'd probably read them first and then go buy them if I really loved them.


7 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

I am all for selective hoarding. I already own more than 2500 books!


Here is my BTT: Own or Borrow post!

Anonymous said...

Wow! that is a lot of books.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/06/booking-through-thursday_09.html

Gigi Ann said...

I don't do a lot of re-reading books, when they begin to overflow, I donate some of them to the local library. Some of my friends borrow books, with no pressure to read them quickly. Now they will re-read some of the books. There is one book I want to re-read, because my friend liked it so well she read it 5 times, before returning it to me. So I think I must have missed something the first time I read it.

llevinso said...

Oh my goodness, 2000! That's sooo many! I'm jealous :) I'm also a classics lover!

Here's my response: http://femalebookreader.blogspot.com/2011/06/me-buy-books.html

Sally said...

I’m a big re-reader so I like to own my books. I too have about 2000 books and not a lot of room left for more unfortunately.
Sally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/06/booking-through-thursday-21.html

CMash said...

I prefer to owning but won't pass up borrowing a book if a friend offers.

Yvette said...

Oh, I always come down on the side of 'owning' or 'hoarding'. :) As it is now, I've got (own) tons of books though not nearly enough for me. But my budget being rather more of a fixed thing these days, I'm using the library more and more. Tomorrow I'm picking up about 19 or so books that they're holding for me. Ha!